Is child support needed to be paid if the child(ren) and ex move in with a new partner?

Yes, but the amount may be reduced/changed. Parents have a financial obligation to support their children until they are eighteen, if they are over the age of eighteen and require support for reasons of illness/disability, enrolment in a full-time education program, etc.

Children also have a right to benefit from their parent’s financial means. This right cannot be discarded simply because a former spouse/partner has moved in with a new partner. Obligation towards your child(ren) is unaffected by your former spouse/partner’s new developments in his or her life.

Category: FAQ