What do you do when divorced parents cannot decide where the child will reside?


In a family law matter, the court may ask the Office of the Children’s Lawyer (OCL) to help when parties can’t agree on the following:

  • How much (parenting) time the child(ren) will spend with each?
  • Who else will have contact with the child(ren)? For example a grandparent.
  • Who has the authority to make decisions for a child?  This is called decision-making responsibility.

The Office of the child(ren)’s Lawyer may provide:

  • A lawyer to represent the child (generally for older children and youth)
  • A clinician, usually a social worker, to meet with the family and write a report for the court. This is generally for children under ten.
Category: FAQ